It is estimated that there are 339,500 home fires each year. The good news is that most of these fires can be avoided. You can take the following steps to prevent house fires.
Do Not Leave Food Unattended
If you are cooking on your stovetop, then you need to be in the kitchen watching it. Cooking is one of the top causes of home fires. You will need to be even more careful if you are cooking with oil. If a fire does occur, then you should cover it to smoother it. Never pour water on a grease fire. Additionally, keep a charged fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency. Don’t keep it under the sink – that’s the worst place to store an extinguisher in the kitchen due to its proximity to the oven and stovetop. It’s better to hang an extinguisher on a nearby wall for easy access.
Test Your Smoke Alarm
Your smoke alarm can save your life. However, it will only help you if it is working properly. That is why you will need to test your smoke alarm at least once a month. Most smoke alarms have a button that allows you to test them. If the smoke alarm is beeping, then you will need to get the batteries changed. We know the chirping can be annoying, but it’s important to break the habit of taking out the batteries and leaving your smoke detectors out of order. You can easily buy a new smoke alarm from a company that offers fire protection services in Lehigh Valley PA.
Be Careful When Using Candles
Candles are another common cause of house fires. You should never leave a lit candle unattended. It’s also important to consider where you put the candle. They should always be out of reach from children and pets and never set in front of an open window. A breeze can easily blow a spark from the wick onto nearby furniture. Additionally, you should keep candles away from anything flammable like curtains.
Be Careful When Using Your Fireplace
Never leave the room when you have a fire burning in your fireplace. When you’re done sitting by the fire for the evening, you should throw the ashes away but wait until they cool. Putting the ashes in a metal container without other flammable materials is recommended for disposal.
Avoid Smoking in Your Home
If you are a smoker, then you should avoid doing it in your home, as it is a fire hazard. Too many people become a statistic – the occurrence of people who fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand and accidentally burn their house down is more common than you might think. When smoking outside, be sure to discard burned-out cigarettes in a receptacle that will not catch fire. Throwing out a cigarette in a trashcan can be just as problematic as throwing it on the ground in the grass.
Store Flammable Items Properly
Shaving cream, hairspray, and household cleaners are flammable. You will need to keep them stored properly. Aerosol cans can easily explode when stored too close to a heat source, so be sure you store them away from things like space heaters.
Keep the Fire Extinguishers Around
Your home can catch on fire even if you are very cautious. That is why it is important to always have a few working fire extinguishers in your home. It is recommended to have at least one fully charged and filled fire extinguisher on each floor, but it is even better to have one in each room and bedroom. Everyone in the home should know where the fire extinguishers are and how to use them properly. Remember, an extinguisher is a tool to help you safely escape a fire – not to be used to stay back and fight the fire yourself.
For more fire safety tips and equipment, contact us today!